Arden Hills is a city in Ramsey County, Minnesota, United States. The population was 9,552 at the 2010 census. Bethel University and Seminary is located in the city of Arden Hills. Also, the campus of University of Northwestern – St. Paul straddles the Arden Hills – Roseville border. The headquarters of Land O’Lakes and Catholic United Financial, a fraternal benefit society, are located there as well.
The name of the city is said to have come from billionaire Senator Joseph Hackney’s hobby farm, Arden Farms. Hackney started the farm within the city limits back in 1906. Charles Perry, for whom Perry Park was named, ran a small potato farm adjacent to Lake Johanna in the 1850s. Lake Johanna sits at the southern end of the city and has been a popular location for swimming, fishing and boating since the late 1800s.
At one time, the city’s geographic topography consisted of several hills formed by glaciers. In fact, the highest point in Ramsey County is a geologic kame located within the boundaries of the former Twin Cities Army Ammunition Plant with an elevation of 1,100-plus feet.
The city was originally part of Mounds View Township. When the township was organized, it included the present Shoreview, Arden Hills, New Brighton, Mounds View and parts of North Oaks and St. Anthony. Arden Hills was incorporated on February 14, 1951, in response to New Brighton’s request for annexation of the area. Over the next 20 years the boundaries of the city were formed through other annexation deals and land trades, forming the city as it currently exists
Homes for Sale in Arden Hills, MN
Contact us with questions or comments!
If you have any questions or would like to set up a showing or would like to know what your house could sell for, feel comfortable to let us know and we will be in touch with you!
Fun facts about Arden Hills, Minnesota
- Money magazine named Arden Hills as one of the top 15 “Best Places to Live” in the United States, and Business Insider has named it one of the “50 Best Suburbs” in America.
- Nearly 10,000 residents live in the city with nearly 60% having earned a bachelor’s degree or higher. The median household income in 2016 was approximately $92,000.
- Standard & Poor’s has given the city its highest bond rating of AAA. Arden Hills now shares this top rating by S&P with 22 other cities in the State and is the fifth smallest city in population to earn this S&P recognition, as of 2018.
- City staff and Council are consistently recognized by the Government Finance Officers Association for financial budgeting, accounting and transparency.
- One Fortune 500 company, Land O’Lakes, is headquartered in Arden Hills, and more than 200 businesses employ approximately 11,000 people.
- Rice Creek Commons, to be located on the former Twin Cities Army Ammunition Plant (TCAAP) property, is a prime redevelopment opportunity in the northwest corner of the city, poised to become one of the most vibrant residential, commercial and retail areas in the Twin Cities region.
- Families in Arden Hills are served by two award-winning school districts (Mounds View and Roseville). The city is home to two private universities, Bethel University and Northwestern University.